[mythtv] Rotating mythbackend.log file

Jeff jeff at intersystems.com
Sat Apr 3 10:18:26 EST 2004

I'm using KnoppMyth R4V2 which creates a mythtv-backend
file in /etc/logrotate.d to rotate and compress the
mythbackend.log file on a daily basis.

I've noticed that when this happens I stop getting any
messages from the backend. I suspect this is because
when mythtv starts up it opens the log file and keeps
it open rather than opening it every time it needs to
write a message. I looked at the code and it simply
dups the file handle for the log file to use as stdout
and stderr.

Would it make any sense to add code to Myth to automatically
roll the log file once/day?