[mythtv] Video as time base stopped working on EPIA with recent CVS

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sun Apr 11 11:06:18 EDT 2004

Op zondag 11 april 2004 16:38, schreef steve at nexusuk.org:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Henk Poley wrote:
> > 1) Sure it really worked before? The dev of this thing told me it only
> > works with nVidia cards. Possinly you ran it on it's primary fallback
> > method.
>
> Oops, yes I forgot to point this out in my previous mail - the option uses
> the /dev/nvidia device.  If you don't have that device then it will fall
> back to /dev/rtc and as a last resort, usleep().  But generally if you
> don't have /dev/nvidia it's not worth using it instead of the normal
> experimental AV sync option.

What about showing this info (needs nvidia, and root) in the 'tooltip' at the
bottom of the settings screen? Might reduce the number of people who report
errors when using it.

> > 2) You still run the frontend as root? As since the thing can only acces
> > the vsync info as root, and can only relyably fall-back to precise
> > timeing information by the kernel as root. As a normal user it will fall
> > back to using usleep(), which would be (and is) crap.
>
> AFAIK running the frontend as root is recommended anyway isn't it?  Since
> the frontend likes to increase it's process priority on some threads
> (which only root can do).

I think I heard that somewhere before, but I never seen these 'higher' threads
nor seen any better behaviour. And doesn't Jarods guide use GDM? That login
manager doesn't do root auto-login (at least my mine doesn't). So I think an
awfull lot of people run their frontend as a normal user. (Unless Jarod bases
it on an SElinux kernel...)

	Henk Poley <><