[mythtv] DVB Channel Changes

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Mon Apr 12 20:12:21 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 01:42, Brian May wrote:

>     GTaylor> dvb_channel (multiplexed channel table) (pids still
>     GTaylor> seperate but this may be ok) Then again with serviceid
>
> What is the justification in keeping the PIDs in a separate table?
>
> It would appear to be a complication in order to allow a dynamic
> number of PIDs to be associated with each channel. However, mythtv
> only seems to support 3 PIDs for each channel, so I am not convinced
> this extra complexity is justified.

For future support having for example a channel with all audio languages and
text pids and ac3 audio and subtitles...it's also nice to stay with something
that is already thought through.

> Then again, I haven't read the DVB specs...

There can be mulitle languages, teletext, subtitles...at least.

> On the topic of names, I think it could be confusing if you deviate
> away from names in the standard, even if these names are confusing.
>
> My only other thought, something needs to be done, eventually, to make
> it easier to setup DVB channels (without manually copying
> channels.conf to mysql), but realize it is probably more important to
> get the database structure finalised first.

This is what you get for making the DVB code stable to use and not caring
about setup much....

> (Whenever DVB channels are advertised here, it is as a channel number,
> eg. 70, 77 or 99. However, mythtv seems to manually configuring a
> mapping from channel number to {frequency,video PID,audio PID}.  How
> is this meant to be configured? I would have hoped DVB had somewhat
> improved from the old analog system of manually tuning each TV
> station.)

This advertising (as you call it) will break when you have 2+ satellites
configured on a DVB-S board, because you'll receive so many channels your
eyes will pop out of your skull :)

> Also mythtv really needs to understand that not every analog channel
> has a DVB equivalent, and not every DVB channel has a analog
> equivalent.
>
> Anyway, just my thoughts.
>
> Keep up the good work!

Sure, bye!