[mythtv] DVB Channel Changes

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Apr 13 11:57:36 EDT 2004

>What is the justification in keeping the PIDs in a separate table?
>
>It would appear to be a complication in order to allow a dynamic
>number of PIDs to be associated with each channel. However, mythtv
>only seems to support 3 PIDs for each channel, so I am not convinced
>this extra complexity is justified.

>My only other thought, something needs to be done, eventually, to make
>it easier to setup DVB channels (without manually copying
>channels.conf to mysql), but realize it is probably more important to
>get the database structure finalised first.

There is a lot of good chatter about this in the myth-dev archives.
Just search for DVB in the title, and look for stuff from Kenneth and
Ben Bucksch (among others)

Multiple pids seems like a good forward looking measure though, you can
have a lot of languages and extra junk for each channel.  The auto
import of channels.conf would be really useful - look for the links to
mythchannels from Ramon some time back - updating and porting this code
would be really useful - I had hoped to do this myself, but have now got
a big list of more important projects....  I think something capable of
running "scan" or importing a channels.conf file and then auto importing
into the DB tables would be enough though.  There are a few perl and
bash scripts in the archive to do this, (and I use Excel!), but
something in c++ is required.

Good luck and thanks for the thoughts

Ed W