[mythtv] scheduler: "The Nanny" - tipping point into madness

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Tue Apr 13 14:21:25 EDT 2004

 > A couple things to try. Do a "make distclean" (if you haven't
> already =) to make sure that nothing is compiled against an
> old library or if you've updated the compiler version or whatnot.

Did that again, just to make sure.  Doesn't seem to help.

> If that doesn't fix it, save "select * from program where title =
> 'The Nanny';", mysqldump your 'program' table, "delete from program;",
> and run mythfilldatabase again. It's possible that there is a bogus
> entry for "The Nanny". If clearing this out fixes it then it
> might be fun to see what the bad entry was.

OK, did this.  Dumped the program table, removed "The Nanny", then
pulled it back in.

mythbackend scheduled 200 something programs in a little less than 1 second.

Ran mythfilldatabase, pulled one day of data.  9 showings of "The Nanny"
are in there.  Added TN through mythweb.
2004-04-13 10:09:36 Scheduled 278 items in 2.14647 seconds.
2004-04-13 10:30:16 Scheduled 286 items in 5.67061 seconds.
2004-04-13 11:00:07 Scheduled 286 items in 7.68143 seconds.
2004-04-13 13:00:10 Scheduled 286 items in 9.1703 seconds.

Each iteration through the scheduler is taking longer, even though the
number of programs being scheduled hasn't changed.

What else can I do?  I'll check what happens if another many-times-a-day
program is scheduled; I highly doubt that it's just "The Nanny" that's
causing it, but I don't have time to test that now.

Memory usage is also going up.  Mythbackend starts at 16MB virt if TN
isn't scheduled.  It's now at 48MB.