[mythtv] DVB Channel Changes

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Apr 13 18:06:17 EDT 2004

>What I was inferring is that it might be possible to only use the PIDs list as a temporary list of
>the PIDs for each program until it can be re-verified or updated from the dvb stream..

Good idea.  There was some chatter a while back about an auto-pids
patch.  I had assumed that this was the goal of that.  Perhaps dig back
and find the author and ask them about where they were going with that?

>This is my main goal.  It is really difficult to write a dvb scanner when you have a database that
>does not represent the heirarchy of the dvb channel strucutre (I.E. Source -> Transport ->
>Program).  A scanner would be much easier to write if it could track the Transports (or
>transponders in my case for DVB-S) and each Program that hangs off of them..

Possibly.  However, the scanner is non-trivial and probably best donated
to the wider community ?  Look at the "scan" app and see what needs
improving on that, and then wrap the whole lot I think?

Also look at VDR and see how they shoe-horn things there.  I'm not
denying that it's a bit of a hack, but I think there is little
motivation or willingness to make big changes to the code base, so in
order to work this in I suggest that you look at minimising the amount
of work/changes required as much as other stuff...

Good luck.  I think this would be an excellent addition to Myth - badly
needed in fact.  However, please initially consider the easy option to
simply capture the output from scan, or simply import a pre-created
channels.conf file.  This will give you good experience as to what the
problems are on the Myth side

Ed W