[mythtv] DVB Channel Changes

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 20:40:00 EDT 2004

>> You only are using fta channels and not encrypted channels from some
>> satellite service.  Several transponders only have encrypted signals when
>> you set it up so there is no reference to the transponders you are not
>> currently tuning to.
> This is bull, go read the MPEG specs, because they clearly state that
> providers can't encrypt the PAT/PMT amongst others.

OK I guess I wasn't clear. I am not talking about encrypting the PAT/PMT. Considner this example.

TRANSPONDER 1 - PROGRAM 1 (FTA)
TRANSPONDER 2 - PROGRAM 2 (ENCRYPTED)

If you only wanted to deal with FTA channels you would have something in your dvb_channels that
was like this:

TRANSPONDER 1 FREQ,POLARITY,SYMBOLRATE,SID,ETC

So then if next week the TRANSPONDER setup was like this:

TRANSPONDER 1 - PROGRAM 1 (FTA)
TRANSPONDER 2 - PROGRAM 2 (FTA)

You then fire up the scanner built into myth and I have a broken provider that doesn't show the
existance of each transponder (Common in NA)..

I would select just TRANSPONDER 1 in my scan by going the distinct method you mentioned therefore
I would be unable to ever know of hte existance of PROGRAM 2 until I manually put it in.

Does that make sense?