[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Fri Apr 16 05:47:51 EDT 2004

> Ben Bucksch wrote:
> > (quotes rearranged)
> >
> > Bruce Markey wrote:
> >
> >> This piece of information in the US is the call letters
> assigned by
> >> the FCC .... callsign
> >

> >> the callsign is the field for the unique station
> identifier assigned
> >> to a broadcaster by regulating authorities.
> >

> > US-based, false assumptions again.
>
> Well, no it isn't false assumption. The FCC in the US does
> regulate the callsigns assigned to broadcasters. I said nothing
> about any other country because I do not live an another country
> so I used the US as an example. However, every broadcaster
> anywhere is identified by some name, number, acronym, or set of
> assigned letters.

Ok, I'm not going to get myself mixed up in this discussion so the only
thing I'm going to do is ask if a given example will work if your
proposed changes get implemented.

Where I live the situation is the same as in other european countries
where an official callsign does not exist but like you said you can just
fill in whatever you want.

But what if you want to change that callsign later on? Reasons might be
as simple as wanting to change "BBC1" to "BBC 1" or because a channel
decides to change their name. Will a change like that somehow mess up
the system? Or will it just continue to work?

> What I'm saying
> is that if you were to get up from your computer and take a
> walk around your neighborhood, you would see lots of people
> that have no idea what MythTV is but every single one of them
> knows with the "BBC" is!

Actually I can think of a some examples where people could get confused.
Some channels have changed their name so often that nobody knows what to
call them anymore ;-)
(not trying to say anything here, just thought it was a funny anecdote)

Cheers,
 -Tako