[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 14:31:00 EDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 14:08, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On Friday 16 April 2004 15:42, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > > the schedules on terrestrial and satellite can vary
> > > so BBC1 (Northern Ireland) received via cable (from which i get
> > > the terrerstrial signal because the transmitter is 180 miles
> > > north of here) is sometimes different from the signal that i get
> > > from satellite
> >
> > This is fine; enter whatever you want for callsigns.  For instance,
> > if "BBC 1 (Northern Ireland)" on satellite shares the same program
> > schedule as that received over cable, then you could enter "BBC 1
> > NI" as the callsign for both, and Myth would then know that it
> > could record a particular program from either source.  If, however,
> > they have different programs schedules, then make 2 different
> > callsigns:  "BBC 1 NI Sat" and "BBC 1 NI Cbl", and Myth will know
> > that they do not share a program schedule.
>
> but now we are in the realm of manufacturing callsigns
> i though bruce was promoting the idea that they were globally
> assigned and unique. fine i accept that i can make them up (and
> indeed i have).
>
> i was just really pointing out that the myth world extends beyond the
> US and that assumptions about how things work there need to be
> augmented and enhanced with non-US experiences.

Well, even in the US, while it's true that callsigns are assigned by the
FCC, that may not help in all cases.  For instance, let's say my local
ABC affiliate station, (FCC ID: WPVI), also broadcasts a digital
channel, (FCC ID: WPVI-D).  As far as the FCC is concerned, these are
two different channels with different callsigns.  But what if they
broadcast the same programming?  Then I need to go into my channel
setup and manually give them the same callsign, probably "WPVI".

Yes, this process is facilitated in the US by the fact that we don't
have to make up identifiers, but in the end everyone (US-based users
included) will probably need to do a little tweaking.  This is about
enabling the functionality in Myth; how you choose to use it is up to
you.

-JAC