[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 16 14:34:01 EDT 2004

Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> writes:

> but now we are in the realm of manufacturing callsigns
> i though bruce was promoting the idea that they were globally assigned and
> unique. fine i accept that i can make them up (and indeed i have).

TECHNICALLY they are.  The ITU-T requires each member-state to
register each radio-emitting station with a unique identifier.  So,
technically each station IS required to have a callsign.  Now, whether
they actually USE this callsign varies from country to country, but
TECHNICALLY it's required.

Take a look at ITU-T (www.itu.int) regulations for more information.

> i was just really pointing out that the myth world extends beyond the US and
> that assumptions about how things work there need to be augmented and
> enhanced with non-US experiences.

While I haven't been to the vast majority of countries out there,
every country I've been to has some "callsign" convention for naming
stations.  Even if the convention is BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, that's
still fine as far as the scheduler is concerned.  Also, the fact that
there are multiple BBC1 entries doesn't matter, either, because the
schduler will choose any "BBC1" station that has a particular show.
If BBC1's broadcast schedule is different than the satellite schedule,
that's fine.  It will use "either" when the schedules overlap, and
will choose one or the other when they do not.

> and as they sometimes say: "we now return to our regular programming"

Indeed.

-derek