[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Kenneth Aafl°y ke-aa at frisurf.no
Sat Apr 17 20:26:48 EDT 2004


On Sunday 18 April 2004 01:54, Brian May wrote:
> However, this only makes sense in countries where users commonly refer
> to channels by a callsign. In other countries, the callsign
> essentially becomes a database key that has no direct meaning to the
> user.

I'm very confused; I'm I the only one in here that has the callsign of a 
channel show below the channel number in the program guide?

> As a workaround, we could set the callsign to be the channel, eg "9".
> However, mythtv already knows the channel number, setting 9 up to be
> the callsign would appear to be confusing (as both are displayed to
> the user in MythTV).
>
> As there is no allocated call sign though, the "callsign" entered is
> subject to change (should I enter NINE, or 9, or Channel9, or Channel
> 9, or NIN, or what?), and has to be changed to update the user
> interface display. As such I do not believe it should be used as a
> primary or foreign key in the database, unless you want to ignore
> countries outside USA.

Yes, the fact that the user has to edit the channel setup to match the 
specifics excactly is what is confusing, at least if it's not provided 
automatically. What should be done if the callsign is to become a primary
key on the channel table, the user should also be aware of this fact by making 
the channel editor emphasise on this fact by displaying (sorting) by callsign 
in addition to the long name of the channels. Also maybe it would be worth 
the while to have this sorting made so that any one callsign only would show 
once, and that the user could select this, and add other sources for this 
callsign.

> However, I am running out of spare time, so this may be my last post
> on the topic for now.
>
> As always, there are exceptions to the above rules:
>
> * the two government run channels (ABC and SBS). Even for these cases
>   we commonly use "channel 2" and "channel 28" as equivalents. This is
>   despite the fact channel 2 is often broadcast on channel 4 in some
>   areas, IIRC.

Yes, this is so here to (Norway), and the solution is to make up the callsign 
myself. Another more plesant solution would be to make the XMLTV team do the 
dirty work for us, and set up a common list of callsigns that would be 
embedded into the data the grabbers provide. But this I belive would infringe 
on the copyright of the site that the grabber uses, as it would be considered 
as a modification of the material.

> * country areas. eg. "Channel 9" is rebroadcast (on a UHF channel), by
>   another company thats calls itself "WIN TV" (hopefully I got the
>   right one). "WIN TV" is almost identical to "Channel 9", except it
>   is the only one available in country areas, only available in
>   country areas, and the advertising is completely different. The name
>   "WIN TV" has no meaning in city areas.
>
>   In a country area if you say "go to Channel 9" you actually mean "go
>   to the equivalent of channel 9 in this area". (this is one case I
>   suspect mythtv can't handle very well at the moment, not tested).

Sound about right, as long as the channel in question is really the channel 
wanted, if you see where I'm getting at. The *other* channel might have a 
slightly different schedule (at least here in Norway, some channels have it 
so over satellite versus ground/localized programming).

> * As above, "Channel 9" isn't always broadcast on channel 9 (just to
>   make matters more confusing). Same for the over channels.
>
> As perhaps an alternate solution, maybe we could invent "myth
> standard" call signs for channels in countries that don't have any?
> Perhaps base this on the xmltvid?

Actually this is exactly what I've been waiting for, just because the fact 
that all other sources is either lacking or non-existant (DVB). Thanks!

-- 

Kenneth Aafl°y
ke-aa at frisurf.no


More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list