[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sat Apr 17 22:33:27 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 09:54:27AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> In Australia, around capital cities, we refer to stations by channel,
> eg. "Channel 9".  IIRC, the company name is similar. There is no other
> way we can refer to it.
>
> You want to use callsign for two purposes:
> 1. to display to user.
> 2. to use as database {primary,foreign} key.
>
> However, this only makes sense in countries where users commonly refer
> to channels by a callsign. In other countries, the callsign
> essentially becomes a database key that has no direct meaning to the
> user.

[..]
> * As above, "Channel 9" isn't always broadcast on channel 9 (just to
>   make matters more confusing). Same for the over channels.

Actually it gets quite rediculous when you consider DVB-T transmissions.
In Melbourne, channel 7 ("Channel Seven Melbourne Pty Ltd") transmits on
what is actually VHF channel 6. Channel 9 ("General Television
Corporation Pty Ltd") is on VHF channel 8, and "Network Ten (Melbourne)
Pty Ltd" is on channel 11. etc.

These stations do actually have callsigns, but they never use them.
Here's a list of all the stations using a single transmit site in Mt
Dandenong:

http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_search.site_lookup?pSITE_ID=12015

You can see analog(video plus two audio licenses) and digital for each
at the site, for 7, 9 and 10. If you follow the license links you can
see that Ten's digital transmitter has the callsign ATV11, while their
analog is ATV10. Nine's digital is "GTV8".

I don't see any need to put that information into Myth though. Anything
unique should do as the callsign.

Hamish