[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Apr 18 15:41:25 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> If I understand things correctly, the idea is to be able to mark

The idea is not to have to "mark" anything but to use what is
already there. I'm starting to see another common mis-understanding
that users now have to do something new or different or have to
add or change something. Not true.

Whether or not anyone realized it, CVS has been using callsigns
rather chanid to match record rules to listings for the past two
months. Not only will what everyone already has in there callsign
column work just fine but, if you use CVS, it already has been
working just fine for some time now.

The reason for David's patch at the the head of this thread was
not to change any fundamental functionality but to add the station
ID to to 'recordoverride' and 'record'. There was a bug because an
overrides need to apply to all channels for a station and not just
one chanid. [If a station was available on two sources and a show
on source 1 was marked "Don't record it", the scheduler would then
try to schedule the same showing on source 2.]

> multiple channels as being "CBS" so the scheduler can work things out

Actually more like "KCBS", an individual station who's listings
are identical where they appear on different channels and sources
but originate from the same broadcaster.

You actually could change the callsigns for two different
"CBS" affiliates and kChannelRecords would still work. Local
programming for one station would only show up in that channel's
listings so it could only record from that chanid. Network
broadcasts would appear in both listings and myth could record
from either. However, the EPG will now only show one row per
matching station so you would only see the local listings for one
of the CBS affiliates. The better approach would be to leave the
affiliate callsigns as-is and use kAllRecord for CBS shows.

> better, which is a good idea.  However I don't think using the callsign
> column is the way to do it.  If you need to identify a broadcaster then
> add a broadcaster ID field that defaults to being the same as the callsign.

There already is a broadcaster ID field, it's called "callsign".

--  bjm