[mythtv] Watch/Delete Recordings

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Tue Apr 20 09:14:53 EDT 2004

I agree, this might actually by a nice option. But then you should be
able to (easily) go from the program guide screen to the live tv (as you
suggest below).

> In thinking also about that SELECT behavior patch for the guide you
> submitted, I thought there might be a better way here also.
> If the program
> selected is currently on TV, the select should tune to the
> channel.  If the
> program selected is in the future, the select should bring up
> the record
> options.

Don't know if I would like this behaviour, your next suggestion sounds a
lot better.

>  I'd even take it one step further and give the
> option (as I've
> suggested for the Watch Recordings screen) where select can
> either bring up
> record for future episodes or bring up a menu with choices
> like Tune to this
> channel, Record this show, Find upcoming episodes, Exit.
> Along the same
> lines, we should ensure (I think it already does) that Record
> always brings
> up the record options.

Exactly.

> What I'm getting at is a system where by default the SELECT key is the
> action key.  It presents the user with choices.  There are
> other keybindings
> for the choices (for quick action) and an option in the setup
> to control
> whether the SELECT key brings up the menu or it defaults to a
> particular
> choice.  I think this gives us the most flexibility as well
> as explicitly
> showing the new user all the choices available to them
> instead of expecting
> them to hunt/find them.

I agree completely, in fact I would suggest that all (well, at least the
majority of) options should be available just by pressing the
SELECT(MENU?) button. I did in fact in the past add some options to the
menus of the watch and delete recording screens just because of that and
suggested that we might want to think about doing the same for all other
screens in Myth (not only TV). Of course nothing ever came out of it and
to be honest I was "afraid" to change the rest too much because the
screens are so very different. I do still think it's a very good idea
though. I think all (most) functionality should be "discoverable"
without having to read the *cough* documentation *cough* to know which
functionality exists in each screen (in fact by accident I encountered
the "legend" popup on the watch recording page the other day but I just
couldn't figure it which button I had pressed to get it).

> Kevin

-Tako