[mythtv] Watch/Delete Recordings

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Apr 21 18:03:18 EDT 2004

Oscar Carlsson wrote:

>>>(MENU).  I
>>>
>>>The  idea  as  I see it is that Menu brings up general
>>>settings/options/whatever and  info  brings  up  specific
>>>stuff for the selected item. Very logic to me at least.
>>>

>KK> General settings/options/whatever belong in setup, IMO.  Menu should be for
>KK> actions to be taken on the highlighted item and Info be exactly that,
>KK> information about the selected item.  Having two buttons bring up two menus
>KK> with actions is what I find confusing and I think limiting to new users.
>
>KK> As I indicated, I would prefer a system that defaulted to presenting the
>KK> menu on SELECT rather than performing a default action so that new users
>KK> were always presented with all the options and then allow for a "expert"
>KK> mode to be enabled where SELECT took on another action.  But I understand
>KK> that this might not be the preferred method for everyone so just
>KK> standardizing SELECT, MENU, and INFO across the application is a good start.
>
>You  really think that changing the current group belongs in the setup? Riiight.
>
>I can however see the menu beeing split in two:
>
>------------------------
> General:
>  - Change view
>
> Specific:
>  - Whatever
>------------------------
>
>But that might get very crowded.
>
>Using select as bringing up a menu is extremely non-intuitive, a new user should
>understand what a menu-key is supposed to do.
>
>Maybe  another  menu button then? Like Menu2 for the currently highlighted item?
>(the  way info works in Watch recordings at the moment). This, or the suggestion
>above would make sense imo.

I agree that although making select pop-up a menu would surely help
braindead newbies it isn't very intuitive. Select should _do_ something
IMO not give you options. And having two kinds of menu works as well I
think if the general rule is: INFO for currently selected item, MENU for
generic/screen actions.

But to improve "discoverability" I would suggest that we put as much of
the available functionality in the menus so you don't have to read
keys.txt to find out most of the basic and semi-advanced functionality.

>KK> kevin

-Tako