[mythtv] large file when recording and watching

Debabrata Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Thu Apr 22 10:08:31 EDT 2004

From: "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net>
> 1.0 GHz/192 MB RAM is a bit on the skimpy side for recording 1 stream +
> watching another, however, AFAIK you'd be more likely to see dropped
> frames and/or choppy playback in that case rather than increased file
> sizes.  Given that downgrading didn't solve your problem, I'd suspect
> some other change in your system (signal quality, new kernel, hardware
> changes?), but I'm afraid you've exhausted my expertise in this area.
>
> Anyone else care to chime in?
>
> -JAC

I'd say don't use RTJPEG. When I was using RTJPEG I noticed this issue as
well. I think it's an RTJPEG bug, I noticed this in particular when a solid
blue screen from my vcr, it sent the RTJPEG bitrate/cpu through the roof.
(something like 64GB/hour).

MPEG4 looks overwhelming at first, but it's cpu usage goes down as you lower
the bitrate. 1Ghz should be fine as long as you keep the bitrate low. Also
since that cpu has only 256k cache, you want to keep the frame size low.
i.e. 480x480 or less, otherwise you'll find you need a lot of cpu power. I
was running this setup on an athlon 700 just fine, with crop and quickdnr
filters to boot.

-Debabrata