[mythtv] Strange EPG behavior

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Fri Apr 23 10:58:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:59:59PM +0200, Steffen Immle wrote:
> On the PVR350's tv-out, LiveTV actually displays the full EPG (and sadly
> makes my box quite instable, espacially on exiting the EPG). I don't

This is a well known problem.  In short, the PVR cards don't like
their graphics memory being used as a normal frame buffer while
decoding is going on.  You can use the ivtv specific X module found at
http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ to fix it.  It provides a virtual
frame buffer for X to scribble on and then DMAs the results to the PVR
using the OSD ioctls.

> do for the normal output (minus the transparency effect). And while I'm
> at it, let me make a suggestion: If you (or someone else) implement an
> option to switch between the EPG modes, it would be nice to be able to
> do that for the PVR350, too. Because I actually like the preview (ie.

This isn't really feasible without some significant changes.  X
doesn't know(*) about the PVRs alpha channel so Myth can't poke a hole in
the screen for the hardware decoding to continue.  That leaves
switching to software decoding while the EPG is up and Myth doesn't
support switching back and forth between decoding modes.

(*) It might be possible to add something to the ivtvdev X module but
somebody would have to look into it.

David
--
David Engel