[mythtv] mythfilldatabase bug

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Apr 28 08:25:04 EDT 2004

>Well, I had expected the *absence* of --no-delete to cause all the
>entries to be deleted, which is apparently not the case, as I get a lot
>of messages from cron about insert errors every day if I don't use
>--no-delete. And for principled reasons (such as "fix the bug instead of
>using stupid workarounds") I've tried to avoid using it, so I kinda
>wanted old data to get deleted without using the option.
>
>I suppose it's possible that the problem really is the xmltv grabber I'm
>using that grabs more data than it should (if it's told to grab data for
>Saturday, it might perhaps sometimes grab till 5 in the morning on
>Sunday or something), and that this breaks some expectations. Perhaps
>the patch I'd really want would be more like

I think this is certainly a real issue with a lot of grabbers
(tv_grab_uk_rt for example).  The current code tries to delete all the
entries for a *given* day, then runs the grabber to get the new data.
Obviously if the grabber is returning too much data then it will cause
insert errors.  I guess that there are various workarounds like doing a
more selective delete before every insert, but it might be easier to
just examine the data coming back from the grabber and mask off anything
for the wrong day (actually will have to check, but I thought there was
already code in CVS to do this?)

Ed W