[mythtv] New overrides ideas

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 23:03:40 EDT 2004

I'm about ready to start reworking the overrides mechanism.  The
general idea is to do away with the recordoverride table and put the
overrides in the record table with all of the other record rules.
This has the advantage of allowing things like priority, start
early/end late times and recording profile to be set for an override
without reimplementing it all in the recordoverride table.

Since there are a number of ways this could be done, I'd like to get
some input from the group to help me decide which implementation
strategy to follow.  I think I've boiled the main issues down to the
following 3 questions.

1. Should overrides be restricted to a single showing of a program or
allowed to be recurring?  One example of a recurring override could
have a kChannelRecord with one set of recording options for reruns and
a kWeekSlotRecord with different set of recording options for new
eopisodes.  Another example could have an kAllRecord for Basketball
games and an anti-kChannelRecord to not record old games on ESPN
Classic.

The advantage of restricting overrides to a single showing, is that
it's conceptually simpler and the GUI can provide clear indications to
the user when they are dealing with an override versus a normal
recording rule.  The advantage of recurring overrides is that it's
much more flexible (in some cases) but would likely be confusing to
users since they would effectively be overlapping recording rules.

2. If overrides are restricted to single showings, should the
overridden showing be listed as an rsOverlap on the Conflict screen or
should it be hidden from the user?  IOW, should one or two entries be
listed for every override?

3. If overrides are restricted to single showings, should the overrides
be deleted when the "parent" record rule is deleted?

FWIW, my preferences are 1. single showings, 2. hide and 3. don't care.

David
--
David Engel
gigem at comcast.net