[mythtv] DVB Stability problems with watching live TV

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Aug 10 05:40:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:41:27AM +0100, Mark Howells wrote:
> > This may well be an audio issue. Seems that the alsa/oss
> > sometimes gets
> > upset when trying to close and reopen the device.
>
> Hmmmm, not sure how this could cause the backend to report Continuity Errors which is definitely what I see.  Switching from LiveTV and then back to the same (faulty) channel fixes the continuity errors.

My theory is that some I/O or CPU overload causes the fifos in the DVB
card to overflow, and then you get non-stop TS errors due to data
corruption. But I could never prove it...

It definitely seemed that a channel change could cause audio problems
which could cause TS errors. Other times a real TS error could cause
non-stop TS errors too - but only with MythTV. I never saw it happen in
Xine, which is another reason why I suspect the TS errors aren't real.

Hamish