[mythtv] frequent PlayBoxTransparency setting DB lookup in mythvideo

Brad Fritz brad-mythtv at fritzfam.com
Tue Aug 17 09:33:09 EDT 2004

Colin,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:12:43AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> >While experimenting with mythvideo this evening, I noticed that
> >after selecting "Browse Videos" there is a loop that runs this
> >query:
> >
> >  SELECT data
> >  FROM settings
> >  WHERE value = 'PlayBoxTransparency'
> >  AND hostname = 'mythfe00'
> >
> >continuously at a rate of several times per second.
[..]

> How does the Gallery view fair for you? I'll take another look tonight
> and see if I can find anything and look at the SQL queries (as I didn't
> look at that last night). I suspect the problem I'm encountering is also
> to do with images, and hense the PlayBoxTransparency may be related....

The image gallery seems much better behaved for me, at least during
a quick test.  The setting lookup for PlayBoxTransparency happens
5 times in quick succession when I enter the gallery, but it doesn't
seemed to be called after I have navigated into the gallery.

While browsing the gallery and watching mysql.log, it appears there
might be room for optimization (e.g. loading gallerymetadata.angle
and Slideshow* settings less often), but I don't see any significant
database query inefficiencies.

Thanks for your reply, Colin.

--Brad