[mythtv] New QAM compatible HDTV card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 19 13:20:14 EDT 2004

On 08/19/2004 11:35 AM, Kyle Rose wrote:

>[Of course, I'm not at all opposed to someone outside the reach of law
>enforcement

Yeah, like Dmitri Skylarov.  Oh, wait... ;)  (
http://www.freesklyarov.org/ )

> breaking HDCP once a critical mass of hardware owners have
>bought into HDTV: at that point, attempts at deprecating that access
>control would incite riots

Yeah.  probably the only way to make the government reconsider this
business.

> among people who threw $2000 at home
>theaters,

Woah.  Where are you doing your shopping?  I'm guessing most people are
spending more than $3000 on their systems (especially when you consider
more than just the TV/projector--and the broadcast flag regulations do).

> and would almost certainly get the attention of US
>politicians who previously supported this jive.  Take a lesson from
>the DeCSS reaction: the content industry not only didn't deprecate the
>DVD format, it continued to expand the market at an exponential pace.]

Yeah, and it only took one kid spending ~5 years of his life fighting
the law from the US to Norway.  ( http://www.nanocrew.net/blog/ )

Any 14- or 15-year olds want to volunteer?  (Oh, you'll probably want to
crack the DRM on Apple's future "iVideos" project after cracking HDCP.)

Gotta love technology.  The more things change, the more they stay the
same.  :)

Mike