[mythtv] mythtranscode -> avi

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Aug 19 21:22:49 EDT 2004

> I thought that the whole point of providing raw (fully decoded)
> streams was to supply something that other tools can read.  Keepint
> the timestamp data would be a pain, and in general changing the
> container without changing the stream is something that needs to be
> done either by mythtranscode, or by some tool that can read nuv.

The raw video is fine for converting to other formats like mpeg
(although I don't if or how to interface them with transcode -- any one
else know?), but the majority of people who contact me about nuvexport
just want to save the files into a format that can easily be played back
with xine/mplayer or on a windows machine without the dsmyth filters.

> the micro-jump stuff should only apply to things that have gone
> through commercial cutting.  So it really shouldn't be hard to decode
> an nuv that didn't go through it.  But of course I have no input in
> what other projects do.

All I know is that there are horribly AV sync issues when using mplayer
or avidemux2 to convert from nuv to avi using a stream copy.

> I hadn't seen anything about that.  Can you provide me a link?  This
> has been on my todo list forever, and I just haven't had time to get
> it working right.  But if someone else has it working, I might be able
> to shoehorn their solution into mythtranscode (assuming it's not
> already).

It's in nuvexport, and is a rather crude hack using a gtk->curses
wrapper and avidemux2.

> Yes, it is not a trivial thing, or I probably would have done it when
> it was originally requested a long time ago.

Well, I'll keep hoping that it might happen, but will look for a way to
make transcode deal with the raw stream.  That should satisfy at least
the people who want a standard dvd/svcd exporter, and divx/avi exports
will just have to reencode for now.

-Chris