[mythtv] Epia hardware decoding - still problems

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sat Aug 28 17:24:36 EDT 2004

mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org <> wrote:
> OK, I've finally had time to try somebody's suggestion of
> turning off /dev/rtc
> syncing using CVS on my EPIA M10000. It helps but I'm still
> having problems
> playing video. What happens is I get roughly double speed
> video with no
> audio. This happens when I skip forward, back and sometimes
> when I show the
> OSD. Eventually it seems to straighten itself out and play
> normally. If I
> pause it, it seems to help too. Sometimes, it just hangs and
> I have to
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
>
> I'm thinking I may get a new frontend box. Support for the
> EPIA HW decoding
> seems to be lagging. Is anyone using this platform
> successfully? Back at
> version 0.13 or so, playback was fine. Since that time
> problems have been
> introduced like flickering OSD and now this playback problem.
> I really like
> all the new features of the new versions but the playback is awful.

The epia hw decoding coud use some work and/or bugfixing.
Unfortunately i'm no expert on hw decoding or mpeg.

I record shows with my dvb card, and when i play them back on my epia box it
segfaults at some positions in the file.
It always happends at the same position in the file, when it happends i have
to restart the frontend and fast forward past that position.
It usualy takes a few segfaults to fast forward to the right spot.

And the recordings from the dvb card is sometimes unplayable.