[mythtv] New AspectRatio option

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Dec 2 07:45:14 UTC 2004

Robert Clark wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 20:53, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
>

>>> Looking back at what's commented out in my xorg.conf file, I tried the
>>>following:
>>>
>>>#       DisplaySize  672 378
>>>#       DisplaySize  16 9
>>>#       DisplaySize  160 90
>

>>Well, wouldn't the scaling be due to the funny screen size?
>

>   If these are funny screen sizes, then I've probably missed something.
> My reading of the code was that it just queries the X server for the
> horizontal and vertical display size and then divides one into the other
> to get the aspect ratio. All of the above should give the magic number
> 16/9.
>
>   Based on the fact that xdpyinfo didn't report the screen size to be
> the values I was putting into xorg.conf, I'm assuming there is some
> rounding happening inside the X server and those rounded values are what
> myth is getting back and using to calculate the display aspect.
>
> 	Robert

I am using an M10K box with Fedora 2 and have set the "DisplaySize"
option to "400 225" which seems to work fine for me, apart
from the OSD which I know has been fixed. My MythTv is
from CVS on 21/11/04.

However, I do have an issue with the aspect ratio seting.
I have been playing about with getting a good quality TV picture
out of the M10K using the Unichrome drivers, and have generated
an interlace test video to check the output interlace.

With the M10K set to 720x576, DisplaySize not given and the
test video which is a 720x576 interlaced video, running
"mythtv <videofile>" gives good output which is interlaced.
MythTv is not scaling the incoming video, which is correct.
However, if I change the aspect ratio with the "w" command
and go back to "4:3" mode (or use the appropriate configuration setting
to force 4:3 mode initially"), then the displayed video no
longer looks correctly interlaced.
I haven't looked into this yet, maybe some different scaling
is applied when the "w" command is used to swap aspect ratio.

Terry

--
   Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
   Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd