[mythtv] Tip on how to slow down noisy DVD drives

David =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4rdeman?= david at 2gen.com
Fri Dec 3 12:03:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:49:08PM +0100, Nezar Nielsen wrote:
>It's weird that you (and some others on the thread, haven't read it
>all) say it doesn't work with dvd drives, I have a DVD/CD drive (LG
>Super multi, I think it's called) and both hdparm and eject works for
>me for setting the speed, eg.:
>
>hdparm -E 2 /dev/hdc
>and
>eject -t -x 2 (which also closes the tray)
>
>both work for me.

It's because hdparm, eject and setcd use the CDROM_SET_SPEED
ioctl which in turn uses commands which are only optional on DVD drives
(which is why the hdparm method works for some DVD drives).

SET_STREAMING on the other hand is apparently mandatory on all DVD
drives, so people which have no luck with the hdparm tool should try the
speedcontrol one.

In the future it seems likely that the SET_STREAMING commands might be
added to the kernel (so that the ioctl tried both methods).

Re,
David