[mythtv] Daily reboot while not recording?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 3 23:56:29 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 14:37, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> I guess it depends on how stable your capture card driver is and which
> distro your using.  I use slackware (because it's simple and doesn't use
> massive amounts of kernel patches like redhat) and a pvr250 card with
> the stable ivtv 0.1.9 drivers and have never rebooted due to a software
> problem.

I don't think it matters much at all what distro you're using. At the very
least, I know using Red Hat/Fedora Core isn't a problem. My boxes are almost
all RH and all are rock-solid, never a reboot for software problems here
either, even with three capture cards in my master backend.

And for the record, most of those "massive amounts of kernel patches" are
either 1) written by Red Hat and eventually accepted into the mainline
kernel, or 2) stable patches from newer kernels back-ported to a known stable
kernel.

With respect to 2.6 kernels, what you're saying there actually applies MUCH
more to SUSE than Red Hat (last I looked, Mantel's kernel of the day for SUSE
had over 1000 patches in it). RH doesn't deviate that much with their 2.6
kernels, as things are accepted to the mainline kernel much faster nowadays
(w/2.4, RH was back-porting stuff from 2.5/2.6).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...