[mythtv] HD3000 buffer overrun solution - patches for hdtvrecorder.cpp/.h against mythtv 0.16

Mon Dec 6 18:39:39 UTC 2004

I have not actually posted my patch anywhere yet.  I am still trying to
improve it.

I have not looked at your patch yet, but I will try it tonight.  Mine also
adds a ringbuffer thread to keep data flowing from the HD-3000 device
driver.

In my testing, recording from a single card is easy.  Recording from two
cards is still doable.  Recording three shows simultaneously is a serious
challenge.

My goal is to be able to record three shows simultaneously for at least an
hour.  I have achieved this while testing during the day.  I need to test it
during prime-time, since I think the data-rate may be higher then.

I also need to test if I can record two programs for 2 hours, while
recording a third for only an hour.  I am hoping that if one of the shows
drops off after an hour, the other two will be able to continue without any
overrurns.

My patch is actually against Daniel's *new* hdtvrecorder.  He is doing some
cool stuff there, which will eventually even allow us to see subtitles while
watching a show.  The downside, is that Daniel's hdtvrecorder takes more
processing time than the stock CVS hdtvrecorder -- this results in even more
overruns (without the ringbuffer).

I have a 3.0GHz HT P4 with 1 gig of RAM.  To get three programs to make it
an hour without an overrun, I am currently using a ringbuffer size of 96 meg.

I look forward to looking at your patch, since it may give me ideas on how
to make mine work better -- or visa-versa.

If you want to look at what I have done, I will send it to you tonight.

John