[mythtv] HD3000 buffer overrun solution - patches for hdtvrecorder.cpp/.h against mythtv 0.16

Tue Dec 7 02:39:23 UTC 2004

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Monday 06 December 2004 06:57 pm, John Patrick Poet wrote:
>

>>My latest "tuning" has to do with how long the hdtvrecorder ringbuffer
>>sleeps per cycle.  If it sleeps too long, I get overruns.  If it does not
>>sleep long enough, I get "IOBOUNDs" which lead to the ringbuffer filling
>>up.
>>

>You may also want to try spawning off a secondary thread from the RingBuffer
>writer that just does the TFW::Sync() every second, instead of making the
>main writer thread block on that...
>
>Isaac

Awesome!  That made a dramatic difference.

In previous tests, watching one show while recording three, after an
hour I would see a max of almost 100MB of ringbuffer used per show
recording.  Without changing any other parameters, adding the "sync
thread", lowered that to 10MB used for each show.

Thanks Isaac!

John