[mythtv] HD3000 buffer overrun solution - patches for hdtvrecorder.cpp/.h against mythtv 0.16

Sat Dec 11 20:16:51 UTC 2004

Doug Larrick wrote:

> John Patrick Poet wrote:
>

>> Here is my version of a ringbuffer thread for hdtvrecorder.  I had
>> not actually planned on posting this quite yet, but since this is now
>> a hot topic, here you go.
>

> Just wanted to say that the combination of this patch and Daniel's
> cleanup patch (hdtv-recorder-v38) fixed a problem I was having where
> every 15 seconds or so recordings would have anywhere from a slight to
> a major glitch, presumably due to packets being dropped on the floor.
>
> -Doug

That is good news.

Eric Anderson pointed out that I was "double buffering" when reading
*from* the ringbuffer.  I have a new version which does not do that.  I
*almost* have the new version working as well as the original.  Changing
the way that works has completely changed how much data must be
processed at a time, to keep things running smoothly.

Isaac's idea of a separate thread for fsync is also a win.  I will post
a patch for that shortly.

John