[mythtv] PowerPC

Mino Taoyama mythtv at taoyama.com
Sun Dec 12 06:47:31 UTC 2004

Brian,

Here is what I have running as far as PowerPC goes.

Frontend - 500MHz G4 Cube running Yellowdog Linux 3.0.1
Backend - Dual 1GHZ PowerMac G4 running Yellowdog Linux 3.0.1 with a
BT878 based capture card.

This combination has been working fine.  The interesting thing is that
the MacOS X version of MythTV doesn't work with the Linux Backend.  I
believe that the endian fixes were only applied to the frontend so the
endian is wrong.

My x86 environment is:

Frontend - MII 10000 Hush PC running Fedora Core 2.
Backend - Pentium 4 2.4GHZ running Fedora Core 2 with 2 M179 and 2
PVR250 cards.

This combination works fine.  MythTV for MacOS X also works with the
x86 backend.  The PowerPC Linux frontend does not work with the x86
Backend but I haven't tried setting the Big Endian flag for the PowerPC
frontend.

If you plan on using the same machine for the frontend and backend then
you should be OK if you have enough processor power. I found that
setting the processor specific optimization in the setting.pro file
makes a significant difference. (-mcpu=7400 or -mcpu=7450 depending on
the version of G4 you have.)

I've been pretty busy but I hope to dig into the code during the
holidays to see if I can figure out how to get the endian problems
fixed.

Mino