[mythtv] Mythtv CVS on AMD64 wants -fPIC

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Sun Dec 12 17:43:27 UTC 2004

Rutger Hendriks <Loial at home.nl> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> the problem described below still applies on CVS for a few seconds ago
> I have now -fPIC -DPIC -fPIC in the following variables:
> CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LFLAGS, LIBS
> in the Makefile in mythtv/libs/libavcodec
>
> Any input is appreciated. I would really like to install the latest version
> because 0.16 keeps crashing on me :-(

So, the only way I've been able to get this to compile on AMD64 is to

./configure --disable-mmx

The problem is that the MMX assembler code in ffmpeg/libavcodec is
triggering what the ffmpeg guys claim is a bug in ld.  Whatever the
reason, neither side is fixing the problem, so you are unable to use
MMX until either (a) someone posts a workaround for the ffmpeg
assembly code or (b) the ld guys fix the alleged bug.

FWIW, the above works just fine with a dual opteron 244, but the
resulting code does use more than 50% of the two CPU's when viewing
HDTV, so you will probably have problems with a single proc if you
watch HDTV.

Cheers,
Kyle