[mythtv] Mythmusic and corrupt FLAC files

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Dec 26 11:31:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

Bruce Dillahunty wrote:
> Just to be clear... This is a fairly new occurrence... files I ripped a
> good while ago, all play fine.

I noticed this myself a while back when doing the patch to clean up the
metadata stuff.

It could very well be the process of writing the metadata that is
corrupting the files in which case, errr, sorry! ;)

In fairness, I did very little with the FLAC metadata code other than
move it around. I didn't look at it's functionality one jot (unlike the
ID3 and to a lesser extent the Ogg Vorbis Comment stuff).

It seemed to me that the I was getting corrupted FLAC files regularly if
I wrote the metadata more than once to the file (I used a little test
program which linked against the metaio* files), but I figured that
MythMusic only writes metadata once when ripping at the moment so it
should be too drastic at the moment, but it looks like there is now a
metadata editor patch which changes this so the issue will have to be
addressed.

I'm not an expert on FLAC, but I believe that FLAC can be happily
contained in an Ogg stream. Is this how MythMusic does it when ripping??
I know that it used Vorbis Comments in the FLAC files at the moment, but
I don't know if that implies it's a Ogg stream or not. If it isn't an
Ogg steam and it were changed to "make it so", would that mean that the
MetaIOOggVorbisComment and MetaIOFlacVorbisComment could be combined in
some way???

I should look into this a bit further I sps, but any pointers would be
apprecieated.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Col