[mythtv] Playback profiles?

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Thu Dec 30 17:20:29 UTC 2004

]Something I'm struggling with is the difference in vibrance between
]ATSC and NTSC recordings, and between monitors (DLP vs. LCD vs. CRT,
]in my case).  NTSC recordings at the default PVR input levels look
]very washed-out compared to ATSC recordings of the same material, but
]I can modify the Xv picture settings to compensate for the most part.
]
]I don't see an easy solution to this.  I think an architecture change
]is in order, which can roughly be described as a "playback profile."
]The playback profile is determined by a tuple (recordid, frontend
]name) so that one can fine-tune specific types of recordings to
]particular frontends.  In my case, a washed out (say) ST:TNG scheduled
]recording will be associated with

I think playback profiles make sense, just make sure that they are easy
to configure. I would very much like it if deinterlacing was used only
when playing to progresive scan monitor, or when the resolution was
different from the source material. Also I don't think I see the washed
out thing you see with IVTV recordings, maybe we need some kind of
wizard to set this up. "Does this image look to vibrant or too washed
out?", "Does this image look too bright, or too dark?", "Does this
interlaced image flicker, or does it show tearing?", etc.

-- Daniel