[mythtv] Latest cvs - atscstreamdata.cpp - PSIP packet failed CRC check

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Thu Dec 30 18:24:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Eric Anderson wrote:
]All of the packets with errors had TableID=0xCC. But not all packets with
]TableID = 0xCC had errors.
] -> If anyone hasn't seen this before and wants to look at this in detail (but
]  needs a sample stream), send me a mail and I can get you one. <-
]Okay, so I don't claim to know much about PSIP, but from the comments,
]0xCC is ETT (extended text table). And from looking at the code, we're not
]doing anything with ETT anyway (ie, DECODE_ETT = 0). So what to do?
]Perhaps the CRC computation for ETT packets is different?
]
]Anyway, for me, this helped to eliminate the errors (and means my backend
]spends less time logging these to /var/log/...) :

Well you didn't really eliminate the errors, but just hid them. The CRC
check is the same for all PSIP packets, in fact the TableID is not
really valid unless the CRC passes. The reason there appears to be a
pattern is because there are many more ETT packets than any others. If
you don't want this chatter change:
       VERBOSE(VB_IMPORTANT, QString("PSIP packet failed CRC check"));
       VERBOSE(VB_RECORD, QString("PSIP packet failed CRC check"));

This will hide the warning normally but reveal it when run in
the record debugging mode.

-- Daniel