[mythtv] Continued apparent norm mashing w/version 0.14

Rich Harkins rich at worldsinfinite.com
Wed Feb 4 08:58:29 EST 2004

I've upgraded to version 0.14 (very nice release BTW), but am *still*
occasionally having problems with recording where I get the green screen
with static at the top (same symptoms for being in PAL on an NTSC
input).  It is doing this completely inconsistently.  Roughly 1 out of 6
recordings is getting munched this way.

The fact this doesn't happen every time makes me wonder about possible
race conditions wrt setting the card's norm.  I am wondering what would
happen if I caused to norm to be reset every so often during the
record.  Would this corrupt the video further?  Would it recover?  Any
clues as to which part of the code I could poke at to try this
experiment?

Also, is anyone else having troubles here or is it just me?

My HW, in case it's important:

* AMD Athlon 2400+ (currently set at 1800 though for the moment)
* Chaintech MB, 256M RAM
* TV in card: TV-wonder-VE
* Using LIRC with IR serial to Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000.  I have
also wondered if blanking after a channel switch is what's freaking my
card out, although I have no evidence to back that theory up as it's
never happened following a channel change while watching live TV.
* TV out card: nVidia MX440, 64M (wouldn't think it'd be a factor)

I don't know if it's a clue or not, but I have *also* been having some
trouble since 0.14 with X11 going nuts and consuming all of the
available CPU (this didn't happen with 0.13).  I will be watching a show
and all of the sudden everything (apparently) locks up.  Even
CTRL-ALT-Backspace doesn't break it of its spell.  I have on two
occasions been able to get in via ssh to see that X11 is in CPU binge
mode but it is unclear what the culprit is.  I have been playing with
XMAME.SDL a lot more lately, but I would hope that wouldn't interfere,
and I was playing a bit before the 0.14 version as well.

SW configuration:
* RedHat 9.0
* mythtv 0.14, have game, music, video, weather, news, browser plugins
installed  (all via CVS since the 0.14 release -- last update was on
2/1/04).
* xmame.SDL 0.74

Thanks!
Rich