[mythtv] [Draft] Duplicate docs

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun Feb 8 23:55:51 EST 2004

> For an example, maybe not the best example, I've seen "Queer
> Eye" has the subject's name in the subtitle. There may or may
> not be a description even for the same subtitle and there may
> be generic episode. Here, "Subtitle" would be the best choice
> and Empty would be asking for trouble.
>
> A better example would be a title that usually has an episode
> subtitle and no desc. but then no subtitle but a description for
> generics. Until I see some examples where you have to use this
> to get the correct result, I'll stand by the statements that
> this may work but it may be more troublesome than helpful and
> another method would be a better choice.

The case I've seen is for shows where they don't get the listings right
all the time.  I think this is a case where it could be even
more accurate than the normal "Sub & Desc."  This example isn't directly
from the program table, but it's an example of ways I've seen the same exact
episode referred to.  Title for all would be "Monster Garage", the
rest is mostly made up.  Think of an example of a show that comes on quite
a few times during the week and gets cycled often.  Keep in mind these
are all (fictional) airings of the same episode.

#  Subtitle        Description                          StartTime/Date
-- --------------- ------------------------------------ -----------------
1  Jet Boat/Car    A boat, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Mon 8:00pm
2  Jet Boat/Car    A boat, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Mon 11:00pm
3  Jet Boat/Car    *Empty*                              Wed 1:00am
4  Jet Boat/Car    *Empty*                              Wed 4:00am
5  *Empty*         A boar, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Sat 9:00pm
6  *Empty*         A boar, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Sat 12:00pm
7  *Empty*         *Empty*                              Tues 8:00pm (next month)
8  *Empty*         *Empty*                              Tues 11:00pm (next month)
9  Jet Boat/Car    A boat, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Mon 8:00pm (next month)
10 Jet Boat/Car    A boat, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Mon 11:00pm (next month)
11 Jet Boat/Car    *Empty*                              Wed 1:00am (next month)
12 Jet Boat/Car    *Empty*                              Wed 4:00am (next month)
13 *Empty*         A boar, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Sat 9:00pm (next month)
14 *Empty*         A boar, a jet, & a car, all in one.  Sat 12:00pm (next month)
15 *Empty*         *Empty*                              Tues 8:00pm (next month)
16 *Empty*         *Empty*                              Tues 11:00pm (next month)

Duplicate Check Method     Episodes Recorded
-------------------------  ---------------------------------------
None                       1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
Sub & Desc                 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,11,12,13,14,15,16
Even If Empty              1,3,5,7
Subtitle                   1,5,6,7,8,13,14,15,16
Description                1,3,4,6,7,11,12,15,16

With Even If Empty, I get 3 dups of the same show after the original airing.
With the other methods, I get many more.  I think Even If Empty will get
the least number of duplicates in certain situations.

This is a worst-case scenario that could happen over a couple month or more
period, but it can/does happen.  The Even If Empty setting wouldn't be
necessary for most shows, but there are ones I record that look similar to
the above example.  I don't know if it's because of bad data or if they
just don't know what they'll air sometimes.
--

Chris