[mythtv] Mythtv/DVB enhancements

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Wed Feb 11 05:08:12 EST 2004

Hi there,

I recently subscribed to the mythtv-dev list as I would like to become
more invovled in the mythtv development process.  Although oddly enough
I'm still at the bottom of a nice steep ramp up on the codebase so its
slow going for the time being.

So I'm looking for advice and suggestions for getting into the code base
and how I might implement the things I need to.

Three items up for discusion

The first one is the simplest I've seen this bug since 0.13 and it
occurs on the simple recording menu off the epg. Basicly if the
description text is too long it forces all of the useful buttons off the
bottom of the visible screen (Things like Record once etc.).  My inital
attempt to fix this was to truncate the description text to a safe
ammount.  It occurs to me this is a bit of a botch fix?, if so any
suggestions on a better fix and which area of the code I should ramp up
first on? As an ammendment to this one I also notice that html &
characters are sneeking into the descriptions which I assume are
unconverted chars anyone know where this is supposed to be done?

Secondly since I have a marginal DVB-T connection I notice I get
"no-dataed" quite a lot from the DVB driver. Saddly this causes the
mythback to lockup (loop of death) and for the frontend to die in a xvmv
assert. So I kind of figured it might be nice to harden that code to
cope with missing data.  So how about a "lost transmission" error
displayed on the mythfrontend instead?.  This appears to be quite a in
depth fix so I'd appreciate any hints.. <Chuckle>

Thirdly an enhancement to DVB, I understand that the DVB drivers allow
for multiple streams to be read from the same frequency (ahh the joys of
multiplexing). I guess it would be good enhancement for mythtv to be
able to cope with this one. Bit of a mythtv expert change but I'd be
interesting in hearing how it could be implemented?

Regards
Simon