[mythtv] Re: Different compile options

gazzer82-lists1234 at mailblocks.com gazzer82-lists1234 at mailblocks.com
Mon Feb 16 11:14:49 EST 2004

Does this mean that DVB support is likely to be compiled into the main
RPM's from Axel soon?? I started this thread in mythtv-users list and
would be rather happy if this did happen. Axel i have a dec2000-t and
am more than willing to be a guinea pig if neccessary (although
probably more important to try on a non DVB system to check for driver
issues?)
Anyway i am waiting with baited breath, hopefully i might possibly have
avery slim chance of getting Mythtv to work??

Cheers

Gareth

On Monday 16 February 2004 14:12, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:42:37PM +0100, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> > On Monday 16 February 2004 11:59, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > Taking this to the development list and top posting as it gets a
bit
> > > more general and is not really answering the question.
> > >
> > > I try to enable as much components as possible w/o hurting other
> > > setups. E.g. native alsa and native lirc seem to be OK, directfb
> > > support is causing problems. I don't know if enabling dvb support
will
> > > have any impact on non-DVB users. Same for the nvidia libs.
> > >
> > > If the extra compiled in components are detected and
used/deactivated
> > > at runtime, this is no problem. So my question is, which current
> > > components of mythtv are safe to be built in, and which not. And
also
> > > if the ones that are not safe could be made safe. :)
> >
> > DVB support compiled in should not conflict with other stuff, so it
> > should be safe to add it. The problem with adding either the XvMC
or Epia
> > accellerated methods is that they add extra library dependencies,
but
> > they could be disabled by default (by modifying avformatdecoder.cpp
and
> > globalsetting.cpp lines with UseXVMC and UseViaSlice).
>
> Extra library dependencies, if available from the same source as the
> mythtv bits, are not a problem I believe, a few unused libraries don't
> hurt the usual mythtv sized hard disk.
>
> > If we were to split out these output methods into libs/drivers, that
> > are packaged separatly, the whole problem would go away. I did this
> > to my tree a while back (still have it around here somewhere), but I
> > dunno if this is enough of a reason to do it?
>
> No, that would be overkill, unless the dependencies cluster together
> to a very big size (like xmltv for mythtv-backend).
>
> Are you saying that it is safe to build against nvidia's XvMC (which
> is static BTW)

Yea, that will work, but you will ignore I810 users, dunno how many is
using
it.

> or Epia, even if the user will have neither?

Sorry about beeing unclear about the epia stuff, it will require the
ddmpeg
library to be present, even without epia output enabled.

Just be sure to patch the files mentioned above, so that X11/Xv will be
the
default, then the user can enable it in mythfrontend/setup/tv
settings/playback (4th page).

--

Kenneth
ke-aa at frisurf.no