[mythtv] zap2it 'labs'

Dan Conti dconti at acm.wwu.edu
Mon Feb 23 16:12:41 EST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Kendrick Vargas wrote:

> You're probably right, but that's the sort of thing that would normally
> get thrown out if it came to a legal case. I don't think it'd apply at all
> because the end user would be agreeing to the license, not the license
> holder for myth. If myth is simply modified to allow a pluggable scheme
> for getting listings data, then a simple script can be written outside of
> myth which even if it were considered a derivative work of the data,
> would not be connected to the primary myth source at all.
> 			-peace

Writing a script outside of myth would not resolve the issue. They are
claiming rights to anything that 1) communicates with their servers and 2)
handles the data. Even if the data is prepped by an outside script, if
it's fed in to myth it is still their data according to this license.

This is similar to how gracenote has handled CDDB, from what i'm seeing.

Besides, even if they dont have a legal leg to stand on, would you really
want to test it? Going to court is pretty expensive.