[mythtv] zap2it 'labs'

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Feb 23 16:55:01 EST 2004

> There does not seem to be any ambiguity to me.  mythtv could be
> considered an OTHER WORK that USES ANY ASPECT OF LICENSED DATA.

But mythtv isn't a "work" that uses the data.  Now, if mythtv somehow
incorporated this feed into the CODE, then it would.  But merely
accessing or manipulating the data (yes, I know it's a form of use) is
not the same kind of "use" that this statement is referring to, and if
they tried to come after Isaac for "use" of their data in this sense,
the case wouldn't make it very far.  It boils down to how they define
"work" - and it generally means something of the same sort.  Mythtv is a
program, and the zap2it data is an xml feed.

Besides, as it was pointed out, the mythtv project itself won't be using
the data - only the mythtv users themselves.

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a philosophy major with a lot of experience
reading details in grammar and wording.  It has to count for something.

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer