[mythtv] [patch] WS stretch mode

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Feb 24 16:52:05 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:10:23PM -0500, Jason Schloer wrote:
> >>Here's a patch that adds one more zoom mode. This is for when stations add
> >>black bars to the sides of a 4:3 show to make it a 16:9 format. The new
> >>16:9 stretch mode just cuts off those bars.
> > I've just applied this to CVS, thanks.
>
>[...]
> Sorry about that, didn't even realize it described the modes in keys.txt. It
> was actually missing on already anyway.
> My suggestion:
> - W to cycle through 4:3 aspect ratio, 16:9, 4:3 Zoom (like Pan and Scan),
> 16:9 Zoom, and 16:9 Stretch(eliminates black sidebars in TV signal)
>
> I'd love to see someone who understands the other modes better give a better
> explanation(Christian?), as I don't understand exactly what the behavior
> would be on a 4:3 display.

How about a way to turn some of the modes off? Two of the existing modes
distort the aspect ratio modes and now you've added a third, but I don't
know why anybody would want stretch modes.

On DVB-T here the stations all transmit at 16:9 picture, with black bars
added if they only have 4:3 material. I use a 4:3 TV. The only useful
modes are the default mode (whose name I forgot) and 4:3 zoom.

Hamish