[mythtv] Anyone working on direct MPEG2 encoding?

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Thu Jan 1 16:24:53 EST 2004

Chris Petersen wrote:
> Chris Osgood wrote:
> > I'd like to encode directly to MPEG2 off my bttv card so
> > that I can use the PVR350's hardware decoder for output.
> > Now that ffmpeg supports mpeg2 encoding are there any plans
> > to add that as a direct encoding target?

I'm pretty sure nobody is working on this, and I would really like to
see this as a feature, as long as the fact that (for the most part) what
you reffer to as mpeg2 encoding, would become libavcodec supported
encoding. This would also have the side effect (if i'm not mistaken) of
adding (with a little effort) support for this to mythtranscode.

> woah, ffmpeg supports mpeg2 encoding?!?!  This is incredible news!  I
> guess I need to figure out how to use it now, since it could very well
> be WAY better than mpeg2enc and would make nuvexport all the better.

Chris P., no need for major sarcasm, just because he didn't choose the
right words, .......!

Kenneth