[mythtv] Anyone working on direct MPEG2 encoding?

Ed Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Fri Jan 2 05:54:14 EST 2004

Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 23:53:17 +0000, "Ed Wildgoose" said:
>

>>Have you seen that there is a new technique out, commonly referred to as
>>tcrequent.  The basic idea is to keep the motion vectors from the
>>initial encode (which is the slow bit to calculate) and just change the
>>quantisation level.  The upshot is that you can "reencode" your mpeg2
>>stream pretty much as fast as you can read and write the data.
>>

>You mentioned this before.  I'll probably look at it once the other
>mpeg2->mpeg2 stuff is robust enough.  I didn't find the 'transcode'
>source to be particularly easy to comprehend when I looked at it earlier.
> But it should be very easy to add per-frame processing to the flow.

Actually I think the transcode guys stole it from somewhere else.  I
think it was originally an opensource part of a commercial app for the
Mac...?

Anyway, a couple of the windows things like ShirinkDVD have started to
announce "features" which sound suspiciously like they have borrowed the
code as well (nothing wrong with that)