[mythtv] How to integrate streaming content

matt matthew at imisssleep.com
Thu Jan 8 14:30:31 EST 2004

I'd like to see streaming(in and out) ability within myth and am willing to
help code to see it happen.
Also I'd like to be able to timeshift webcasts if needed.

I see two ways of doing this:
1. Integrate with existing modules, making:
    -mythmusic able to play streams
    -mythvideo able to play streams
    -mythbackend able to record scheduled streams
    -mythbacked able to control shoutcast,videolan, and ffserver streams

However this leaves a need for a new form to setup recorded streams.

2. Create a new module (as you have done), making it:
    -able to play streams (live and recorded)
    -able to schedule and record streams
    -able to manage shoutcast,videolan,ffserver,etc servers and streams

However, in this situation, the module would have to be always running (like
mythbackend)

I see advantages to both approaches. Any comments or better ideas?

I don't have any experience coding audio and video processing. But I can
certainly write code to manage other programs (mplayer, ffserver, etc...).

Matt