[mythtv] [patch] associate freqtable with videosource

Chris Eldredge chriseldredge at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 21:47:52 EST 2004

> How about a slight modification?  Instead of the setting in the
> videosource
> table completely replacing the global setting, how about just allowing it
> override the global setting, if it's set?  That way people don't have to
> set
> it for each source.

That could work.  I have a few questions that once answered may help to
clear up the best approach.

First a question of how people actually use videosources in multidevice
situations.  An example of where your suggestion makes sense is if you
have, say, 2 cards, one for cable tv and one for digital cable.  they both
use us-cable as the frequency table but the digital has channels that the
other card can't get.  Another scenario:  cable + satellite.  Do people
have configurations like this?  Since I don't have a multidevice setup I
have no idea what's commonplace.  I simply had assumed that it is more
typical to have  many capturecards but only one source... ie cableTV from
the same provider attached to 2 devices.  If this is the rule (not the
exception), I believe keeping the old setting provides no convenience to a
typical user.

However, if the first scenario is used (cable and sat. in same setup),
that leads me to another question.  How does Myth know which input to
allocate to the frontend in LiveTV mode?  Say the user wants to watch a
channel only available on the sat, but when LiveTV is selected mythbackend
sets up the recording using the cable source.  Now how does the user jump
to a channel on a different device (possibly with different hardware,
format, etc)?  Does Myth already do that?

The reason that question is important to me is because I have the idea to
create 2 capturecard defitions for a pcHDTV card.  The first would be a
V4L card and the second would be a HDTV card.  Then I'd set up
videosources (antenna, cable) for each.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to
switch from watching cable to watching HDTV over-the-air on the fly.  But
at the very least it would be nice if there were way to tell the liveTV
which source I want.  I'm not sure what needs to be done to make that
work...

I realize the above solution would not do conflict resolution since it
would think both cable and antenna could be recorded at the same time.  It
was just a first step idea to get both HDTV and cable to work without
manually changing the database in between.  Even though you can't
necessarily watch both in LiveTV, I believe recording from one or the
other would work correctly.

Anyway, food for thought.  In the meantime I'll change my patch so the
videosource tuner setting is an optional override and resubmit.

Chris.