[mythtv] How to integrate streaming content

Eric ericgies at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Jan 9 16:57:58 EST 2004

 Yes, the software tuner that provides channels sounds reasonable. The
mythstream plugin experiment is built as a tuner. It however isn't integrated
into mythtv as suggested (channels) and it also handles non-stream url's (web
playlists). But tagging url's that actually play as channels is no problem.
That data can be used by a tuner.

 A tuner per format is no-good I think: the user shouldn't be bothered with
things like formats.

 Jeff's outline of stream implementation is focussed upon recording, centering
recording of available content around gereric channels. These channels then
enable recording of audio or video content, streamed or not. This places
stream sources in mythtv.

As an alternative, In my last mail I suggested integration of streams in
mythmusic and mythvideo - wich has a focus on content form (audio versus
video) and play. Isaac has stated that this is the way streamplay should be
implemented in mythtv.

And there is the current unofficial implementation of mythstream that has a
focus on play: integration of audio and video play in one dedicated stream
plugin.

 So you can see streaming from different perspectives. It's tv, radio, video,
audio. You can listen, watch or record it and browse through lists of it. I
guess an option is to enable it all, through complete integration, making
streams as invisible as possible.

This provides for Matt's recording backend, contolled through Jeff's generic
channels, meeting with Isaacs requirements (I think).
It will be a huge task, also requiring major changes to the presentation of
content in mythmusic and mythvideo. One first step is...?

--> about the CC-issue: I clearly misinterpreted not getting a CC as a signal
no answer is expected/wanted.

Eric.