[mythtv] More recording profiles? (revisited)

Malcolm Smith Malcolm.Smith at itemplus.com
Mon Jan 12 06:48:38 EST 2004

Here's my 2 cents...

I use my mythbox in 2 ways. The first as an easy to use TV based Tivo box
(albeit better than Tivo in many ways). The second as a road warrior. I
travel a lot so I like to record programs for when I'm on the road.

At home the myth functionality is great... transcoding spreads the load of
recording and compression and is intuitive.

On the road I have a wndoze laptop (sorry no possibility of Linux on this
one it doesn't belong to me). What I like to do is to "nuvexport" the
recordings and stick them on space on my laptop's hard drive. I can then
watch them in hotel rooms. This can only be done when I'm at home. Dial-up
connectivity on the road means that I cannot remain connected whilst
nuvexport does it's stuff.

I schedule recordings primarily through mythweb rather than the on screen
(unless I'm watching on the TV and want to record).

I watch records 50% on the TV, 50% via exported files.

What I'd like is this:
 1. Be able to schedule exports (i.e. run Nuvexport) from mythweb (How about
a button on the "view recordings" screen similar to the delete button?).
That way I can specify an export without having to be able to log into my
myth box. Nuv export could "transcode" to any format we choose.

 2. Specify a "transcoder" to produce the type of output that Chris is
talking about. (i.e. specify an export as well as a transcode). For example
when capturing "the West Wing" I'd like always for it to produce a divx
encoded file as well as keeping the .nuv copy.

How does that sound? I agree we should rely too much on external formats and
code, but I believe we should "inter-operate" with other similar systems.

-malc-