[mythtv] Higher quality resizing/filtering

Wed Jan 14 08:36:44 EST 2004

Has anyone given any thought to perhaps integrating the software based mplayer resizing code, or even just fixing up the current non XV resize code so that it works as well as the XV code?

The motivation is that although I only have a baby 21" TV, I have been pondering getting something a little bigger, and I'm sure that many people here have a big telly, or perhaps even plasma/projector?   The quality of the software resize does seem to be a bit better than XV mode on my nvidia FX5200 for example.

Tests include mplayer with XV vs bicubic and trying myth with the NO_XV shell variable set.  Without tweaking any code, the NO_XV does seem a fair bit sharper even on my set, and uses about 60% CPU on a P2.8ghz.  However, as it stands it frequently tends to decide that the machine doesn't have enough cpu for full frame rate and starts skipping frames, and also I notice that the variables for width and height aren't the same as for XV and hence the aspect ratio stuff doesn't seem to be kicking in (might have a deeper look at this and try to submit a fix - videooutxv.cpp:PrepareFrame seems to be the issue?).

I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually compared the various resize options, perhaps the software resize in ffmpeg is actually one of the best ones anyway (the algorithm used is pretty reasonable anyway)?