[mythtv] Packaging prereleases/CVS? (was: Next release?)

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Fri Jan 16 16:48:58 EST 2004

Am Fr, den 16.01.2004 schrieb Axel Thimm um 20:57:
> (I know it has been the policy
> of mythtv development to discourage this, and if this is still the
> case, it should continue to be honoured.)

<snip>

> Many projects have unstable/bleeding edge/beta packaged stages for the
> adventurous to lay their hand upon. What do you think?

Not that my opinion will be the one that counts, but my experience shows
that one shouldn't encourage users that don't know how to get and
compile an application from cvs to use it. Whenever there were bleeding
edge packages available the ratio of useful messages on the mailing list
decreased till it was lost in the noise.

Admitted, I do like to compile my own stuff, and with mythtv I do have
to, since the default settings don't work on my cpu, but I don't think
it's advisable to make cvs packages available for a project were there
is a such a dynamic development in progress as with mythtv/ivtv.

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough